VA Updates Welcome Kit for Veterans and FamiliesUpdated December 30, 2022 News
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs announced today the addition of 10 ‘quick start guides’ and caregiver resources to the VA Welcome Kit — a guide for service members, Veterans, their families, caregivers, and survivors to access care, benefits and services.
The updated welcome kit makes it easier to obtain information about VA resources by listing each step and document needed in the application or enrollment process.
“Our welcome kit breaks down VA’s care, benefits and services in an easy-to-follow way so Veterans and their families don’t miss out on any VA resources they may be eligible for,” said VA Secretary Robert Wilkie. “This guide is the perfect starting point for anyone interested in what the department has to offer, and I encourage everyone in the Veteran community to download and share it with their networks.”
The VA Welcome Kit is organized around major life milestones, such as separating from military service, retirement or seeking care while aging. The kit now includes a total of 14 ‘quick start guides’ that cover a variety of topics, including:
- Applying for VA health care.
- Getting started with mental health services.
- Getting started with health services for women Veterans.
- Understanding community care.
- Accessing urgent care.
- Applying for a disability rating.
- Applying for education benefits.
- Applying for burial in a VA national cemetery and for memorial products.
- Understanding the modernized decision review process.
- Getting started with services for Veterans ages 65 and older.
- Getting started with Veteran state benefits and service.
- Getting started with Vet Center services.
- Getting started with caregiver benefits.
- Applying for survivor benefits.
More than 1 million copies of the VA Welcome Kit have been downloaded or printed across the country. VA created the kit and follow-on guides using human-centered design with feedback from hundreds of Veterans and their families.
Download the VA Welcome Kit here.